It’s winter! The air is cold, the wind is harsh, the central heating is on…all of these things can contribute to dry chapped lips.
Here’s are our top tips for getting your lips back to their soft, kissable best.
- Step One: up your fluid intake. Water hydrates and dry lips can be a sure sign you’re not getting enough!
- Step Two: When your lips are dry and flaky, we have a tendency to pick, gnaw or lick them more often. None of those things are good for dry lips and will make them dryer. Stop that behaviour right now!
- Step Three: Exfoliate. When exfoliating your lips you need to go gently but there are several options available to you. You can make your own lip scrub using honey, sugar and olive oil. Rub the mixture onto your lips and leave it for a few minutes to soak, before gently wiping away. Alternatively there are pre-made lip scrubs available, such as the Glo Minerals gloExfoliating Lip Wand. A top tip though is to use an old, soft, toothbrush to gently brush over your lips in circular motions to help keep them soft and to remove flakes and dead skin.
- Step Four: Lip Balms. There are many lip balms on the market but a good starting place is good old Vaseline on the lips every night, then use a thinner product for everyday use. Shea and Cocoa Butter are great ingredients to look out for and the EOS range is perfect. All formulated with Shea Butter and Vitamin E. Apply every morning before your lip colour product. This is a particularly important step if you’re wearing a matte lip colour or lip stain, both of which are known for their ability to show every patch of dryness on your lips!
- Step Five: The final step, if you’re particularly prone to dry lips, is to make sure the lipstick or gloss you wear is particularly formulated to be moisturising. Reach for either something like the Everyday Minerals Tinted Lip Butter, which provides a sheer tint, or reach for a moisturising Lipstick. The Neve Cosmetics Dessert a Levres lipsticks are not only deliciously named after a range of sweet treats but are made with vegetable oils and shea butter to keep your lips super soft.
If you follow these steps every day you should have a perfectly kissable pout in no time at all. Just remember, drink lots of water and then add lots and lots of luscious moisturising ingredients every morning and every night.