Airbrush make up is a technique that has been around since the mid 1920’s but has become more popular since the invention of high definition TV. Liquid and powder based foundations can be seen more on HD TV whereas airbrushing gives a more even, natural and flawless appearance. It can be water, alcohol, silicone or polymer based. Advantages of airbrush make up:
- 1. Lasts longer than liquid or powder based foundation meaning less touch ups throughout the day. Airbrushed make up can last up to 18 hours.
- 2. Brilliant for sensitive skin. It is gentle and doesn’t clog up your pores. Water based and oil free airbrush make up is the best for anyone with sensitive skin or skin conditions such as eczema or acne.
- 3. It is lightweight but it gives a full even coverage. It is great for covering up acne, birth marks, tattoos and other blemishes.
- 4. It is usually waterproof, sweat proof and tear proof. You can also get oil free make up.
- 5. It can be blended and mixed with other colour to create you desired shades.
- 6. It is more sanitary than using sponges, fingers or make up brushes. The airbrush never touches the skin, meaning there is virtually no risk of cross-infection/cross-contamination. This is why professional make up artists love it so much.
- 7. It can be used for more than just foundation application. You can use the airbrush to apply eye shadow, blusher and lip colour.
Tips for applying airbrush make up:
- 1. Choose the foundation colour you require or mix different shades together until you get the best shade for your skin tone and apply a primer first if you desire.
- 2. Hold the airbrush about 6 inches away from your face.
- 3. Start on your forehead and gradually work down applying the make up one side of the face at a time using ever strokes.
- 4. Once you have done one application look at your face carefully. Sometimes one application is enough to give the coverage you need. If you feel you need more gradually build up the layers one at a time, on average 2-3 layers is usually enough. Once the foundation hits your face it dries almost immediately. It should only take around 2- minutes for you to reach your desired look.
- 5. If you are trying to cover up blemishes you may need to hold the airbrush a little closer to your face and concentrate on the affected areas. The great thing about airbrushing is that when you concentrate on specific areas and you build up a few layers it doesn’t go cakey like other foundations do. It just leaves you with a flawless, even coverage.
- 6. Remember to concentrate around your nose, eyelids and close to your ears and these areas can get missed.
- 7. You can even use it on your neck chest and other areas of your body if you want to cover up tattoos, scars or varicose veins.
- 8. You can then apply eye shadow, blusher and lip colour using the airbrush.